“Success is getting what you want,
happiness is wanting what you get.”
~ Dale Carnegie, 1888-1955
2017 New Year's Resolution: Healthy Abundant Life
January 1: I am embarking on a 12-month journey and I invite you to come along. My personal journey is to discover a simple, healthy, abundant lifestyle. While each of us may have different resolutions and plan to head in different directions, the journey process will be the same. First, determine the destination, then map out the route and finally enjoy the scenery along the way.
Are you interested? Want to come along? Read on...
Determine the Destination
Before we even begin to travel, we have to know where we are going. My destination is healthy abundant living for a full year and beyond. This statement is wide open to interpretations with different connotations for different people. So, let me give you my definition.
'Healthy Abundant Living' is
having what I need and needing what I have;
and, being grateful for the many blessings bestowed on me.
Just being able to recognize that I have enough is empowering. There are times in my life when I over-commit and over-indulge. I need to recognize those over-extended moments and pull myself back from the brink. The goal of my journey is to embrace the concept that I do not need it all or even want it all. I just need enough.
What does your 2017 resolutions mean to you? Let me help you along by asking a few questions.
When you reach your destination:
- What will it look like?
- What will it feel like?
- What euphoria are you seeking?
- What dreams are hidden away because you thought they were impossible to obtain?
I ask these questions so that you will focus on possibilities not obstacles. If you do not embrace potential, then you will never reach high enough to achieve your goal.
Map the Route
It is time to put on your thinking cap and make a list of your goals (your resolutions). If you are like most people, your list may include losing weight, exercising more, eating healthier, reading more books, or getting organized. However, you may desire monthly mini-vacations, a cruise, more money in the bank, more time with family and friends, a new car, a bigger home... Pull out some paper and pen and start making your list. The act of writing your thoughts down starts the process of making it happen. Check out "Write It Down, Make It Happen" by Henriette Anne Klauser.
My route for Healthy Abundant Living looks like this:
- Clean eating every day: Add brightly-colored fruits and vegetables high in vitamins and antioxidants into my diet along with protein to build an energetic body. Cut down on carbs and increase fiber intake using veggies instead of pasta. Eliminate highly processed foods.
- Exercise every day: Yoga, strength training and an outside 30-minute walking program or stationary biking during harsh winter weather especially while watching UConn basketball. Five minutes on a stationary bike burns 30-50 calories. Daily 5-minute goal: 10 push-up to strengthen core muscles along with quick squats, lunges, and side kicks adding weights as I progress.
- Purge and organize every day: Assign a household area where I will spend 15 minutes every day to purge the unnecessary, unloved and unused items, then organize the keepers. Everything must have a home. In January, I plan to start with the bathroom closet. There is so much stuffed onto the shelves and floor. It is time to review what I truly need, purge, recycle and organize.
- Relationships every day: Establish time on my calendar to connect with family and friends face-to-face, email, sending note cards or calling on the phone. Time with grandchildren is the best!
- Make healthy a habit.
Many folks make hasty resolutions on New Year’s Day while hoping that the changes will last for a week or so. We state a half-hearted remark such as, “I want to get organized” or "I want to lose weight" and then spend a few hours clearing off the desktop or planning a weekly menu of calorie restricted items. However, when life gets busy, we are right back to the same old habits with the same old results. We continually search for simplicity, but struggle to find it. Whatever happened to the commitment? What ever happened to taking care of self? This is the year to establish new habits that will move you towards your ultimate goal. Achieving success is an inside job, beginning and ending with YOU!
Enjoy the Process along the way
Once you have listed your intended goals, write down how you will feel when you actually achieve that desire. Here is a sample layout:
I want to achieve… -- When I get it, this is how I will feel...
1. Abundant health -- I will feel like I am floating when I walk. Daily activities and exercise will be effortless. I will stand tall, head erect and vibrantly observe my surroundings.
2. Abundant finances -- When I sit down to pay bills, there will be ample money in my bank account to write each check. Paying bills on time is an expression of thankfulness to those that have provided a valuable service that make my life easier.
3. Abundant energy -- Deep restorative sleep will become easier to obtain. It will rejuvenate me. Each morning I will feel refreshed and eager to get out of bed ready to experience new opportunities that come my way.
4. Abundant organization -- With order a part of every facet of daily living, my life will be nurtured physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. Cleaning and maintaining possessions will be a snap, taking less time, less energy and less money.
Now It Is Your Turn:
I Want… -- And, when I get it I will feel…
Feel It Happen
We marvel at the feats of Olympic athletes winning by a mere inch or a fraction of a second. When asked how they accomplished such excellence, often they respond, “I feel the weight of the medal around my neck and the headiness of standing on the center podium listening to my national anthem.” Visualization is powerful! This is the track that changes wishful thinking into reality. Imagine it, see it, feel it!
When you are feeling your best, filled with joy and gratitude, you attract more joy and everything around you vibrates with pleasure. Yet, on those days when you are off balance, filled with fear or worry, you experience discontent everywhere. It is simply the law of attraction at work. Like attracts like. When you think of something that makes you happy, you are uplifted, joyous and grateful.
Outside circumstances cannot and will not control your life once you recognize that it is simply your feelings that set the stage for success. You are not a puppet. You have freedom of choice; the freedom to achieve abundant living and all your goals. Choose wisely!
Key to a successful 12-month journey
The key to success starts with desire, a strong passionate desire for an abundant bank account, for a slimmer body, for a new car, an organized garage, to learn a foreign language, to master the incoming mail, to play the guitar, to live simply... Whatever your definition of success may be, you can achieve it with a deep down, passionate must-have feeling. Recognize the possibilities set before you.
Ask yourself, “What do I want and why do I want it?” Begin to feel the pleasure your response evokes.
Keeping New Year's resolutions for a full 12 months is not something to do when you have spare time. It is a steady way of life, a journey of learning of let go of the things that are getting in the way of being the best that you can be. Join me in this 12-month journey to achieve specific, attainable goals. When December 31 rolls around, there will be time to reflect on the many steps you have successfully taken.
I do not need it all or even want it all. I just need enough.